What is Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) for?
Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) is an ethyl ester of eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) indicated as an adjunct therapy for adult patients with:
- elevated triglyceride (TG) levels (≥ 150 mg/dL) and established cardiovascular disease or, diabetes mellitus and two or more additional risk factors for cardiovascular disease as an adjunct to maximally tolerated statin therapy.
- severe (≥ 500 mg/dL) hypertriglyceridemia as an adjunct to diet.
Where has Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) been approved?
Vascepa (icosapent ethyl) has been approved by:
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA), USA:
- On July 27, 2012 to reduce triglyceride levels in adults with severe hypertriglyceridemia
- On December 13, 2019 to reduce cardiovascular risk
- Health Canada on January 2, 2020 to reduce cardiovascular risk
- European Medicines Agency (EMA) on January 29, 2021 under the brand name Vazkepa to reduce cardiovascular risk
WHAT ARE THE POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF VASCEPA?
- Heart rhythm problems (atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter).
Heart rhythm problems which can be serious and cause hospitalization have happened in people who take VASCEPA, especially in people who have heart (cardiovascular) disease or diabetes with a risk factor for heart (cardiovascular) disease, or who have had heart rhythm problems in the past. Tell your doctor if you get any symptoms of heart rhythm problems such as feeling as if your heart is beating fast and irregular, lightheadedness, dizziness, shortness of breath, chest discomfort or you faint.
- Possible allergic reactions if you are allergic to fish or shellfish.
Stop taking VASCEPA and tell your doctor right away or get emergency medical help if you have any signs or symptoms of an allergic reaction.
Serious bleeding can happen in people who take VASCEPA. Your risk of bleeding may increase if you are also taking a blood thinner medicine.
If you have liver problems and are taking VASCEPA, your doctor should do blood tests during treatment.
The most common side effects of VASCEPA include:
- Muscle and joint pain
- Swelling of the hands, legs, or feet
- Heart rhythm problems (atrial fibrillation)
Room temperature shipping
For this medication, standard shipping applies. This means that a consistent room temperature of 15 to 25°C is maintained during transit.
Your order will be shipped to you by our partner couriers, such as DHL, UPS and specialised cold chain couriers. If you would like your order to be shipped by a specific courier, please inform us when you place the order.
Our standard delivery time varies from 5 to 10 working days.
The shipping cost depends on the medicine and the destination country. After making an enquiry, you will receive a detailed quote that includes the shipping costs.
You can also pick up your medicine from our partner pharmacy in Amsterdam or our partner pharmacy in Luxembourg after the order has been paid for.